VETERANS ONLINE SERVICE BENEFIT
Beginning this Veteran’s Day, November 11, 2017, online shopping privileges to all honorably discharged veterans of the U.S. Military begins. This highly anticipated change in DoD policy grants online exchange shopping privileges to an estimated eighteen million additional individuals.
According to DoD officials, “The online benefit will also strengthen the exchanges’ online business to better serve our current patrons. Inclusion of honorably discharged veterans would conservatively double the exchanges’ online presence, thereby improving the experience for all patrons through improved vendor terms, more competitive merchandise assortments, and improved efficiencies.”
We are excited about extending this new privilege to all honorably discharged veterans and invite you to visit VetVerify.org to establish your authentication for this important benefit. Thank you for your service!
** Shopping privileges exclude the purchase of uniforms, alcohol and tobacco products.
TOP 5 VOSB FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What is the VOSB?
- VOSB is the Veteran’s Online Shopping Benefit. Beginning this Veteran’s Day, Saturday, November 11, 2017, honorably discharged U.S. service members will have the ability to shop online via military exchange websites – including www.myNavyExchange.com.
- Why has the online shopping benefit been extended to include Veterans?
- Currently 92% of all Veterans, the vast majority of whom served honorably, receive no military exchange shopping privilege. This proportion is even higher for recently discharged Veterans, many of whom served multiple tours and were discharged prior to meeting the 20-year criteria for retiree status. Allowing online shopping is a way to recognize those who served honorably, and allows Veterans to make a tangible contribution to the quality of life of those who remain on active duty.
- Where do I check my eligibility?
- A special website, VetVerify.org, has been set up for Veterans of all military branches to check their eligibility. The site accesses DoD records and informs Veterans of all branches of service whether they have the proper discharge status to qualify. Your records must be complete. Ready to find out your status? Simply go to VetVerify.organd follow the instructions.
For questions regarding your verification, please reference the FAQ section on VetVerify.org.
- I’m Verified! Now how do I sign-up?
Registering online will not begin until the program launches on November 11, 2017, but please stay tuned to our official VOSB page as well as our Facebook page for all updates. Once your benefit begins on November 11, you will need to register on https://www.shopmyexchange.com and or www.myNavyExchange.com. See below for details!
In order to create an account… You will need to know your DOD ID#. If you do not have one, you will be prompted to go to a different screen where you can enter in the last 4 digits of your social security number and your date of birth. You can then continue to complete your account. If your eligibility occurred prior to digital record keeping, please reach out to the www.VetVerify.org team. They can provide information on submitting your DD-214. Once your eligibility has been confirmed, they will add you to the eligible Veterans database and you will then be eligible to shop.
A word about establishing your password… While having one easy password that you can use across multiple sites seems appealing, it is not the most secure way to protect your online accounts. Your password for myNavyExchange.com must contain the following: 8-15 characters in length; Must be different from your user name; Must contain no spaces; Must have at least 1 number in it (0-9); Must have at least 1 special character (examples: @, ?, [)
Will I be able to shop at all military exchange websites?
Yes, the shopping benefit will be available exclusively online via all military exchange websites. The benefit does not extend to in-store purchases/pick-ups or grant access to your local military installation or facility.
Can I ship orders to another address?
- Yes! myNavyExchange.com offers a wide variety of products that are perfect for birthdays, graduations, anniversaries or holidays. Ordering online provides the opportunity to ship your gift directly to that special person.
- Orders can be shipped to valid addresses within the United States, excluding NEX store locations. Overseas delivery is only available to Hawaii, Alaska and U.S. territories with valid U.S. zip codes.
Is there a limit to how much I can order?
- Yes. As with all patrons, any items purchased must be for the sole use of the authorized customer or as a bonafide gift. Merchandise purchased by authorized patrons cannot be resold or exchanged in barter and cannot be made for another individual for which you receive reimbursement.
- In order to ensure items are available to all eligible patrons, NEXCOM reserves the right to limit quantities.
Can I pick up my order at my local NEX?
- Unfortunately, the Veterans Online Shopping Benefit does not provide access to local installations; therefore delivery to the local NEX is not an option at this time.
How do I return or exchange a product?
- Returns and exchanges for products purchased from myNavyExchange.com for VOSB eligible patrons can only be processed through the NEX warehouse. Returns are accepted up to 45 days from date of original order.
Returning a product is EASY…
- Simply fill out the short form on the reverse side of the packing list that arrived with your order. Itemize what you are returning and the reason. Indicate whether you want to exchange the item for a different size or color or simply want to be credited back to the original form of payment. Place the return label on the outside of the package, enclose the completed short form with the item(s), seal the box and either bring to your local post office or hand to your postal carrier. Once we receive your return, we’ll do the rest! Please allow 2-3 weeks for your return to be processed.
Why has the online shopping benefit been extended to include Veterans?
- Currently, 92% of all Veterans, the vast majority whom served honorably, receive no military exchange shopping privilege. This proportion is even higher for recently discharged Veterans, many of whom served multiple tours and were discharged prior to meeting the 20-year criteria for retiree status. Allowing online shopping is a way to recognize those who served honorably and allows Veterans to make a tangible contribution to the quality of life of those who remain on active duty.
Why won’t Veterans be extended shopping privileges in NEX stores?
- Many NEX stores are physically located on limited-access bases. Access to these stores would involve logistical issues including credentials, base access and other considerations. Therefore, shopping privileges at NEX stores is not an option at this time.
- However, visit the NAVY EXCHANGE Facebook page www.facebook.com/NavyExchange/ for any updates or changes.
How will the profits generated from this initiative be used?
- Veteran online shopping earnings will support Navy quality of life programs. Beyond additional support for these services, extending the online military exchange benefit to Veterans strengthens the benefit through improved buying power as well as better pricing and assortment for every authorized customer in the military community.
Will Veterans be able to shop online with a Military Star Card?
- Yes! For previous or current customers out-processing from the military, final account details for the transition are being developed. Additional details will be provided as they become available.
- For those who did not have a card while in service, they will be eligible to apply at www.MyECP.com effective Veteran’s Day 2017 (11/11/17).
What if I have additional questions?
- NEXCOM’s Customer Care Center is available to answer questions 24 hours a day 364 days a year at (888) 343-8672 or VOSB@nexweb.org. Our offices are closed on Christmas Day only.